Monday, January 14, 2013

Oatmeal Pancakes






I wanted to try something a little different for breakfast and I stumbled across this super easy recipe for Vegan Oatmeal Pancakes, so I decided to try it.  I tripled the recipe and it made about 8 medium size pancakes.  When I first mixed it up it was really soupy, so I added about another 1/3 cup of oats.  It will thicken as it stands and absorbs the liquid.  I also used unsweetened almond milk to make mine.  These could be gluten free if you used certified gluten free oats.  For a topping, I used a thin layer of peanut butter, sliced bananas and a little drizzle of pure maple syrup.  They are very tasty and quite filling.
Here is my version of the recipe

1 cup thick rolled oats, ground into flour using a food processor or blender
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 Tbs turbinado
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/3 cup Vegan chocolate chips
dash of salt

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, let stand for 3-5 minutes or until some of  the liquid is absorbed.  Pour about 1/4-1/3 cup of batter on pre-heated griddle or non-stick pan and spread out.  Bake for a couple minutes on each side until golden brown.

No comments: